Single AS multiple Dirverse Providers

Oliver olipro at 8.c.9.b.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa
Tue Jun 18 12:08:02 UTC 2013

A BGP speaker will not accept routes with its own AS in the path, nor should
it.

Whilst a number of people have suggested using allowas-in, I'd personally not
recommend it as loop prevention is generally a good thing - if you ever added
a BGP speaker to one network that also had internet peerings (plus iBGP to the
existing router) allowas-in would result in internal traffic going over the
external link since eBGP is preferred over iBGP. You could of course prevent
that by mangling attributes, but why create the potential work and pain for
yourself?

Instead, I'd suggest setting up iBGP peerings for each of the upstreams,
rewriting the next hop address of received routes to the upstream of that
particular interface. Since it would really be pointless/wasteful to advertise
your internet routes over iBGP, be sure to restrict it to just your own
networks.

Doing it this way means that you can quite easily just spin up a new peering
if you get a real backbone link, and you don't take on the downsides of using
allowas-in.

Regards
Oliver