recommended outdoor enclosures

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Jun 17 20:28:15 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 04:19:07PM -0400, Jon Sands wrote:
> This is by far a "cheaper" option, but should work just fine. I'm
> about to do the same myself.
>
> Grab a used cab here - http://www.usedtowers.com/CABINETS/CABINETS.htm
>
> Some of those come with the factory huge AC systems built for
> thousands of watts of equipment inside, but if you're like me and
> will have 300-400 watts max, grab a non-cooled cabinet for cheap.
>
> Then pick up one of these guys and slap it on, buy the capacity you
> need. You can get them with a heating option as well, they're
> thermoelectric and very affordable-
> http://www.eicsolutions.com/thermoelectric-air-conditioners.php

"very affordable"?  I looked at those and they cost more than twice
the cost of the cabinet itself.  But I might end up going with them
anyway, 1500 BTU would cover the 400 watts I generate inside the
cabinet, but I'm more concerned about the outdoor environment/solar
heating effects.  How many BTU should I add to account for that?