huawei

chris burri chris.burri at hotmail.ch
Sun Jun 16 23:34:09 UTC 2013

Concerning covert communications, I have a short story to tell:

Several years ago, I used to play World of Warcraft. The Game allows for LUA scripting, and the developers added some limitations as to prevent bot scripting. One of the limitations was that you could not export data from or import into the game (file load and save LUA functions were present, but have been disabled by Blizzard).

To circumvent this limitation (I have some history of doing things deemed "impossible" by others...), I did two things:

First, I wrote a LUA script that placed a field of 1024 dots on the screen. The script accepted a string of up to 128 chars and encoded it in binary. It would then set the dots on the screen according to the bits, white for 1 and black for 0. Finally, it would trigger a screenshot.

The second part of the exercise was a small VB.NET program that watched the screenshot folder for new files. If a new screenshot was detected, it loaded the file and tried to find the dot-field within the new screenshot. If found, it would decode the binary - et voila: Data exported from the Game into an external program.

Greetings
Chris

---

-= Amat Victoria Curam =-