huawei

Tom Taylor tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:21:25 UTC 2013

Disclosure: I've been consulting to a group in Huawei for six years,
ever since I retired from Nortel. I have seen no sign of anything except
competent gathering of competitive information at meetings, the same as
we did at Nortel. I would not have expected to see anything else, of course.

As a Canadian, I cast a somewhat skeptical eye on claims of Huawei being
a particular security hazard. My personal view, without any evidence
outside of the newspapers, is that the claims are commercially and
politically motivated. I note that Cisco equipment, for instance, is
also manufactured in China, but no one has taken that any further.

The IPR scandal is twenty years in the past, now. I've watched my own
group mature and visited their Shenzhen campus of 10,000-plus engineers
from time to time, and I would say that Huawei is well able to generate
their own technology these days.

It's fun to speculate on how one might insert back doors in products,
but I'm not sure there's reason to tie such speculation to particular
vendors.

Tom Taylor