huawei

Mark Seiden mis at seiden.com
Thu Jun 13 17:59:22 UTC 2013

there are lots of other attack scenarios besides the simple one you suggest,
as people who try to analyze malware payloads by their outbound network activity
have figured out.

an attack could be time-driven, or driven by some very hard to interpret network
signalling (such as a response to something the router would have a perfectly legitimate
reason to ask an attacker about).   which means you need to watch for an indefinite length of
time (possibly forever) to see behavior.  (in the malware world, the question is:  how long do you
run this in your sandbox to find the command and control?)

covert channels have been known for many years, and outbound data could be encoded in a covert
channel by timing (which is much more difficult to notice than content modification such as steganography as there
are no specs and few expectations about timing).    see

http://www.crypto.com/papers/jbug-Usenix06-final.pdf

for an wonderful example of a keyboard specially modified to leak passwords by modulating the timing in an ssh channel
snooped between the admin and the router.

the volume of data need not be huge.  a login and password, for example, can be leaked out in a covert channel without
the likelihood of anyone noticing, and would provide subsequent access to the router in case of need, which is good enough
for many military purposes.

finally, denial of service on a network component could be implemented by watching for a sequence of out of spec packets of death.
only someone doing impossibly exhaustive fuzzing might see the result, and it would be indistinguishable from a bug.