Webcasting as a replacement for traditional broadcasting (was Re: Wackie 'ol Friday)

Michael McConnell michael at winkstreaming.com
Tue Jun 11 16:10:48 UTC 2013

On Jun 7, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

Such a common story. ..

> They got rescued by a vendor named Fast Hockey who are an amateur hockey
> webcast aggregator, I gather, and *are* an Akamai client.
>
> My estimation is that the reason that webcasting will never completely
> replace broadcasting is that -- because it is mostly unicast -- its
> inherent complexity factor is a) orders of magnitude higher than bcast, and
> b) *proportional to the number of viewers*.  Like Linux, that doesn't scale.

This is the primary reason companies including Internap, Peer1 and XO (The list goes on and on, and includes several company that only provide CDN services) all used to run their own CDN networks and now all three have outsourced this CDN service / sold their customers to Limelight. Edgecast even sold off all their services in Asia and just runs a US based CDN.

The general policy in data centres has been 30 - 40% utilisation to allow for bursting and unexpected temporary increases, in CDN its more like 5 - 10% especially when you are a CDN for hire you really can't make any predictions about what your customers might do. Its common for CDN's to have entire rack's sitting powered off that only need to be powered up to join the cluster, our company has multiple full racks per data centre just a alert to the NOC staff or email away from being turned on.

--

Michael McConnell
WINK Streaming;
email: michael at winkstreaming.com