Single AS multiple Dirverse Providers

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jun 10 19:37:23 UTC 2013

On Jun 10, 2013, at 15:23 , Job Snijders <job.snijders at atrato.com> wrote:

>> The alternative is to expect "networks" with 100s or 1000s of locations to burn 100s or 1000s of ASNs. Which I think is a bit silly. Hence my question about possibly changing the rules.
>
> I see no issue with that, we have an ASN pool of roughly 4294967280 ASNs. There is no shortage. Also BCP6 section 5 [1] would support the philosophy to just get more ASNs when you need to manage multiple islands.

Ever tried to get a single peer set up sessions in 50+ places with 50+ ASNs?

Neither have I. Nor do I plan to try any time soon.

Anyway, looks like the comments lean towards "leave it as it is", and some people will knowingly violate the rules, as has been done since the Internet began.

--
TTFN,
patrick