OC3/STM-1 Line Card

Nick Khamis symack at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 02:05:07 UTC 2013

Sorry everyone for the delayed response. Basically we are trying to
setup up POPS in specific ares. Each POP should be capable of handling
1500-2000 channels or ~60-80 virutal PRIs "please bare with me".
Laying down the 80K for Audiocodes 3000 with an OC interface, or even
a Metaswitch would be the "big boys" way of doing. Before going any
route, knowing our options are good no?

Option 1: OC3 muxed down to 84 T1s -----> 7 X 12 T1s Asterisk Boxes --------> IP
Option 2: Metaswitch, Audiocodes swtich

Michael Loftis said:
>> If you're doing internal stuff you're better off forgetting about SS7 crap, and just doing
>> IP/SIP over your OC3.  No transcoding, you'll get as good or better audio
>> quality, and, more available channels.

I would love to cut a deal with a CLEC or and ILEC to sell us a piece
of their network (i.e., place our equipment at their location and cut
us a piece of the signaling) but no go. Channels are their bread and
butter and they are sticking to it. At $6-$15 per circuit, rolling
blackout like the kind you would see in Tikrit, Iraq, no thank you....

To answer your question this is for external. We are trying to place
ourselves strategically and offer a hosted PRI solution, along with
maintaining our existing customer's SIP<-->PSTN network.

>> If you're interfacing with the PSTN with SS7 your options are a lot more
>> limited as SS7 support is fairly poor in the FOSS world.

Very true!!! However, there is no one doing SIGTRAN or SS7 over IP
that we know of. We are really trying to stay away from reselling
someone's service, as opposed to managing our own trunks as we've been
doing for over 10 years. Only now we are looking to scale up and
market it.

>> Most modern gear can go all the way to individual DS0's in a single
>> card without a MUX of any kind.  OC3/STM-1 is only like 155mbit.

Please elaborate, we are not liking the MUX idea. But we're kind of
between a hard spot and a rock :).

Phil Fagan said:
>> Nick are you trying to run these codecs on linux?

Yes but whether we do it by muxing the OC to multiple T1's plugged
into *, or using this thing:

http://www.gl.com/OC3-OC12-analysis-emulation-card.html

I could not resist.... Not sure how many people used this on deployed
system. Which brings us to

Option 3: Straight OC3 branched out to * with a really cool "Lightseed
1000" like interface on asterisk boxes. No hit for the MUX, not as
many * boxes needed.... Life would be so good....

Cheers,

N.