Mechanics of CALEA taps

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Mon Jun 10 00:15:29 UTC 2013

> Honestly, I expect replies to this question to range between zero and none,
> but I have to ask it.

Surprise!

> I understand the CALEA tap mechanism for most ISPs, generally, works like
> this:
>
>  * we outsource our CALEA management to company X
>  * we don't even know there's been a request until we've gotten a bill from X.

I've never even thought of the idea of outsourcing CALEA requests. That is probably because I would never consider doing it.

Perhaps we are in the minority, but we scrutinize every request of any sort to ensure it has jurisdiction and is valid. I can't even fathom the thought of trusting a third party for this.