Facebook broken over v6?

Ben Aitchison ben at meh.net.nz
Sun Jun 9 00:38:53 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 01:29:43PM -0700, Doug Porter wrote:
> We're actively investigating the v6 issues.  We need more data
> though.  If you're experiencing problems, please email me a
> tcpdump/pcap or any other debug data you think will help.

I was experiencing problems, and disabling ipv6 seemed to fix it,
and have also been experiencing sometimes slow speeds to google so
didn't know if it was concurrent facebook/google issues (which I
suspected) or a general ipv6 issue.

So I reenabled ipv6, and did tcpdump and it seems to be behaving fine now,
although slightly slower than ipv4 even though ipv6 seems to pick a closer
data centre than ipv4.  Both of which are further away than they
used to be.  (entry point lax, destination seems to be frc1 for ipv4
and www.v6.facebook.com, and prn1 for ipv6 www.facebook.com.

Is there some url that could run a regular curl to to see if it times out
off/on?

Another concurrent issue, is it seems images are getting slower and slower
over time.  It seems for some reason that https is forced, even if disabled in
profile settings and that cdn usage keeps varying over time, it used to have
urls like photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net but now it seeems to have
fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net.   Curiously photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net still looks
up with < 1 msec ping rather then ~190 msec ping.

Ben.