Facebook broken over v6?

Chris Conn cconn at b2b2c.ca
Sat Jun 8 19:38:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-08 15:29, Chris Conn wrote:
> It's affecting anyone running dual stack, as the server responds,
> hangs, times out and then it tries again on v6. At least in the latest
> FF and Safari browsers, I've not tried chrome. I've cc'd this over to
> Nanog, as I've not seen anything about it there, and I'm sure others
> are seeing it. www.v6.facebook.com works fine as a workaround for the
> time being. --

Indeed, I have seen this behaviour for at least a week.  It seems to
somehow be related to geo-located DNS (akamai?) since the timeouts and
RSTs I see in the traffic are from IPv6 akamai servers, not facebook itself.

I tried de-peering from a number of networks to try and isolate it and
it was not transit-specific.  I stopped questioning my network when I
saw a thread on Sixxs and tunnelbroker about this very issue.

Hopefully it won't persist as right now as having Facebook
intermittently connect is likely hurting deployment slightly.

Chris