Webcasting as a replacement for traditional broadcasting (was Re: Wackie 'ol Friday)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jun 8 19:25:07 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "cb.list6" <cb.list6 at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Brandon Butterworth
> <brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> > The next try is LTE Broadcast
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMBMS
>
> Without going into painful detail on the policy, technology or
> economics, i really don't see EMBMS being widely deployed and
> successful

Isn't it a shame that the fix was in when ATSC was locked as 8VSB, instead
of the much easier to receive while mobile COFDM... which would have cost
broadcasters more because it's average transmit power is higher?

So anything that costs broadcasters more to do to serve mobile users, I'm
fine with, as long as they don't try to charge us for it.

Cheers,
-- jra