Webcasting as a replacement for traditional broadcasting (was Re: Wackie 'ol Friday)

cb.list6 cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 17:37:48 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Warren Bailey
<wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com> wrote:
> Japan has been doing this exact thing for close to 10 years.. Why is it hard

Japan has been doing what exactly?  Can you cite it?  I am pretty sure
 by "exact thing" you do not mean EMBMS.

> to do? Buffer the video 30 seconds or use a codec that doesn't blow? I use
> my phone via "4G"and stream media constantly. If you take a look at Charlie

Yes, and by "streaming", you mean downloading discrete video chunks
with http.  That is the state of the industry today video over unicast
TCP / HTTP.  It is not EMBMS

A very large percentage of mobile data traffic today is video via HTTP
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/ns827/white_paper_c11-520862.html

I do not know of any EMBMS deployments.

CB