PRISM: NSA/FBI Internet data mining project

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Sat Jun 8 16:08:29 UTC 2013

You can keep a hacker out, true, but you cannot keep the government
out. When the force of law can be used to compell you to act against
your wishes or your own best interests, all bets are of. Hackers sneak
in through the back door. The govt just breaks the front door down and
demands entry and that is what appears to have happened here.

Remember that part of the issue is the fact that, thanks to the
Patriot Act and FISA, not only can you be given a warrant that does
not proceed through normal channels, you are forbidden from even
acknowledging its very existence or risk prison. That's ideal
conspiracy fodder. Add to that the ignorance of the common man
combined with the fact that no one here should have any doubt that the
NSA is capable of things you and I haven't even imagined yet, and what
are you likely to end up with when a snooping story breaks? Nothing
short of the NSA being remained to the "National Surveilance
Administration". My gripe is that they should not have this sort of
power to begin with. Power will be abused, pure and simple. The only
way to prevent the abuse of power by government entities is to deny
them that power in the first place.

So I don't buy the whole thing because as an engineer, I know it's a
lot more difficult than people think but, as an engineer, I also know
the value of the right technology in just the right place. Do I
believe they're snooping my waves and watching my keyboard? No, but
with access to the right point (email servers and proxies near the
eyeballs) they really don't have to. Besides, if they *DID* want to
monitor someone that closely, we all know how easy it is for a
somewhat more skilled hacker to get access to a desktop. So I'm up for
about half of what is out there with just a touch of skepticism.

Even without the whole kit and kaboodle, the information they have
access to already is pretty frightening. With it, you can reverse
engineer and acquire much more information through indirect means when
the right search parameters are used and the right correlations made.
Ever made a campaign contribution or a donation to a group like the
NRA or CATO? Membership information is not private when they can just
that way. How often do you phone your congresscritter? Easy to
identify the politically active by seeing who is placing/receiving
calls from a given group. This whole system is just ripe for abuse.
The statement the president made on this issue, as I heard it, really
boils down to 5 words: "We're the government. Trust us."

*shudder*

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard