IP4 address conservation method

rdrake rdrake at direcpath.com
Thu Jun 6 03:11:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-05 18:25, Ricky Beam wrote:

> That said, I do use a stripped debian box as an inter-vlan router.
> You
> don't want to see the pages of tweaks it's taken to stop it being a
> broadcast storm generator. (and no, "arpd" is stupid hack.)  It's a
> beautiful thing to run "tcpdump ... broadcast" and see no packets!
>
> (And I'm not too happy with the BS 32 interface limit for multicast
> routing.)

Actually, I'd love to see the pages of tweaks.  Seems like it would be
useful if I need to do this in the future :)
Maybe drop it on the Debian wiki somewhere if you get the chance.

Or at the least it would be nice to know what issues you're hitting
now.  You can tune the neighbor cache size and timeout via sysctl, so I
would think it would be more of a memory limit than anything (unless the
kernel uses a really poor hash lookup for arp entries)

> --Ricky

--Robert