One of our own in the Guardian.

John van Oppen jvanoppen at spectrumnet.us
Mon Jul 15 08:16:24 UTC 2013

To be honest, that is the problem with most smaller ISPs, their uplinks are not all 10G...   The only way to have users who reliably get high speed tests is to make sure one does not have 1G upstream links but obviously for a smaller provider that would not be an option.

I think this is why our retail service routinely is in the top few on the public speed test sites in the US...   The (obvious) secret is having more than 1G of headroom on every link to the world and using a lot of 10G internally.   From my testing on my home link to our network and a bunch of customer links, public speed tests of above 800 mbit/sec on gigE are pretty achievable assuming the testing server is in the same metro and well provisioned (IE not on a tiny ISP).

John