Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 31 05:30:31 UTC 2013

> When I get a Cisco router with an integrated CSU and the telco sends a
> loop-up my device does it.  No reason the same can't be done with
> ethernet, other than no demand today.

But your router isn't where the Telco's responsibility ends. It ends
back at the card with the blinky-lights on it, usually mounted next
to the protector block at your MPOE.

It's the DS0/T1 equivalent of the ONT.

(They can also send test signals to it as well.)

> I would like to build an infrastrucutre that could last 50-100 years,
> like the telephone twisted pair of the last century.  The only tech I
> can see that can do that is home run single mode fiber to the home.
> Anything with electronics has no chance of that lifespan.  Anything with
> splitters and such will be problematic down the road.  Simpler is
> better.

An interesting claim given that the Telco twisted pair you are holding up
as a shining example did involve electronics, splitters (known as bridge
taps) etc.

Owen