ONT diagnostics (WAS: Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?)

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu Jan 31 00:58:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:53:34PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
[...]
> It really isn't. You'd be surprised how many uncompensated truck rolls
> are eliminated every day by being able to talk to the ONT from the
> help desk and tell the subscriber "Well, I can manage your ONT and
> it's pretty clear the problem is inside your house. Would you like to
> pay us $150/hour to come out and troubleshoot it for you?"

Showing some ignorance here, but...

Does anyone make an ONT with a blinky light that you can toggle on/off
remotely?  It'd be great to say:
   Go look at the "it works" light.

If the remote tech can control the light, the end user would have a
better idea that the upstream provider really *was* in control -- rather
than trying to placate the caller.