Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Jan 30 00:39:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jean-Francois Mezei" <jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca>

> It is in fact important for a government (municipal, state/privince or
> federal) to stay at a last mile layer 2 service with no retail
> offering. Wholesale only.
>
> Not only is the last mile competitively neutral because it is not
> involved in retail, but it them invites competition by allowing many
> service providers to provide retail services over the last mile
> network.

This, Jean-Francois, is the assertion I hear relatively frequently.

It rings true to me, in general, and I would go that way... but there is
a sting in that tail: Can I reasonably expect that Road Runner will in fact
be technically equipped and inclined to meet me to get my residents as
subscribers?  Especially if they're already built HFC in much to all of
my municipality?

Cheers,
-- jra