IPV6 in enterprise best practices/white papaers

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Tue Jan 29 22:18:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2013, at 10:03 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:
>

>> Eugeniu Patrascu wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Pavel Dimow <paveldimow at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As being personally involved deploying IPv6 on an enterprise network,
>>> here's how I did it (keeping in mind the fact that we have our own
>>> ASN):
>>>

>> I suggest this be step 0
>>

> Yes.
>
>>> - get a /48 PI from the local LIR
>>
>> And this be step 1
>>

> No, this is step 2 and /48 is not necessarily the right answer.
>
> Step 1 is to evaluate your network and figure out your addressing needs.
>
> If you have a single corporate office and are not an ISP, then /48 is fine.
>
> If you have multiple locations, then a /48 per location is more appropriate.

Yes, I know this is the rule, but right now we only have one location,
so I got only a /48.

One thing that I missed in my first e-mail, was to say that for each
subnet I allocated a /64 as it works with most equipment and no funky
netmasks.

One of my ISPs is running /126 netmask on the border links and the
other runs /64 - probably a matter of preference by their network
admins.

Eugeniu