Muni network ownership and the Fourth

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Tue Jan 29 20:07:20 UTC 2013

On 13-01-29 10:59, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> Regular readers know that I'm really big on municipally owned fiber networks
> (at layer 1 or 2)... but I'm also a big constitutionalist (on the first,
> second, fourth, and fifth, particularly), and this is the first really good
> counter-argument I've seen, and it honestly hadn't occurred to me.

Is last mile infrastructure really considered "internet" ? If a GPON
system operates as layer 2, it provides no internet connectivity, no IP
routing and would/should not implement any IP use policies such as
throttling etc.  About the only traffic management it would do is
provide separate garanteed bandwidth channel for VoIP. (or via QoS)

If the last mile is sold only as wholesale (as is the case for
Australian NBN), then it is up to each private service provider who buys
access to reach homes to implement IP policies and connect to the
internet, provide services such as DHCP etc.