Looking for success stories in Qwest/Centurylink land

Mark Radabaugh mark at amplex.net
Tue Jan 29 16:29:25 UTC 2013

On 1/29/13 7:43 AM, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> On 1/29/13 1:20 AM, Rob McEwen wrote:
>> [...] the US Federal government:
>>
>> (A) ...cannot do a darn thing without MASSIVE graft & corruption... plus
>> massive overruns in costs... including a HEAVY dose of "crony
>> capitalism" where, often, the companies who get the contracts are the
>> ones who pad the wallets of the politicians in charge. [...]
>>
> Ummm, this isn't true.  As all of us old enough to remember know, the
> ILECs promised that with *REDUCED* regulation they'd roll out
> universal broadband IFF they were given the revenues from DSL --
> putting the CLECs and small ISPs out of the broadband business.
>
> The graft and corruption was in *private* industry, not the Federal
> government, due to lack of regulation and oversight.

The other big problem with putting the government in charge is that it
creates too 'big' of a project.   Every large contractor wants a piece
of it, every vendor wants a part, and the end result is a specification
that is expensive and difficult to build.   Then the bidding process to
build/supply it starts and takes 3 years plus the 5 years for the
lawsuits from everyone who didn't win.  By now the specification is well
out of date but we start building it anyway. Yeah - it's built.   But we
need to upgrade it....   Repeat the above.

Don't believe it?   Take a look at a much smaller Federal system - Air
Traffic Control and the attempts to upgrade that system.

Why would "Federal Internet" be any different?

--
Mark Radabaugh
Amplex

mark at amplex.net  419.837.5015