CGN fixed/hashed nat question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jan 23 15:37:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Simon Perreault
<simon.perreault at viagenie.ca> wrote:
> Le 2013-01-23 14:22, William Herrin a écrit :
>> I thought this was desirable behavior for a CGN since effective port
>> prediction facilitates p2p nat traversal?
>
> NAT traversal using port prediction is a Worst Current Practice.

In other words, it works well enough that CGN's predicted total
destruction of p2p may be just slightly overblown.

In fact, were someone to use those "worst current practices" to build
some generic p2p VPN software, even old games could leverage it to
allow someone behind a CGN to host.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004