CGN fixed/hashed nat question

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Tue Jan 22 21:52:49 UTC 2013

later, Eric Oosting <eric.oosting at gmail.com> wrote:

> > draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn
>
> That's it. Or more specifically, the section of that draft that points
> to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6431#section-2.2

I am also not a fan of CGN or NAT, but I co-chair the IETF's BEHAVE
working group that works on NAT.

draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn provides that functionality in
an attempt to help randomize ports (see RFC6056).  However, because
the ports are fixed and there are relatively few ports, an attacker
can determine the ports by causing the victim to open a bunch
of TCP connections.  This can be done by a bunch of "img src" tags
in an HTML-encoded email message, among other mechanisms.  If the
hashing causes no logging, it creates a new requirement for a strong
audit trail of the CGN configuration.

The hashing provided by draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn is
not necessary to avoid "logging every session".  Rather, the reduction
occurs by generating 1 logging event when creating NNNN mapped
ports.  If using the CGN configuration, then no logging event needs
to be generated.

To date, the BEHAVE working group has not standardized any of
the proposed hashing techniques because several require coordination
between the devices (such as CPE and CGN), or between the log
generator and log consumer, or are functions self-contained within
a device and don't require standards action.

-d