L2 redundant VPN

David Swafford david at davidswafford.com
Tue Jan 22 05:02:35 UTC 2013

Just throwing out another option --
if you can do 9K MTUs over the provider's IP connection (or even 4K
for that matter), you might want to look at deploying an MPLS overlay.
Imagine having a pair of MPLS PEs at each datacenter, so four in
total.  Then link those in a mesh using GRE tunnels over the existing
IP transport.  Run MPLS over these four boxes and build L2 pseudowires
across.  Here's a really basic config of this:
https://w.ntwk.cc/working-on-atompls/.  For lab testing, a pair of
3725s on 12.4T will do the trick.

david.