CALEA options for small/midsize ISPs

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 02:28:51 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Byron Hooper <bhooper at staff.gwi.net> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> My company is looking at updating our CALEA set up.  Our network has
> changed appreciably since our initial rollout and I am looking at utilizing
> Cisco's Lawful Intercept.  I'm wondering what people are using as "Mediator
> Devices", aka what the Cisco routers are sending the Lawful Intercept
> stream to.
>
> Cisco's Lawful Intercept seems like a solid option since all it requires
> for us is an IOS upgrade on our core routers and something to act as a
> Mediator, but I'm also interested in solutions others are using.

not that when I last looked there were some pretty serious speed/feed
problems with this solution. (like 15kpps max)

I believe packetforensics still ships boxes that do the intercept and
I believe send data off to LEA in the right format:
  <http://packetforensics.com/products.safe>

it'd require these to be in place between PE and CE though, which is
'ok' if you have an all fiber type deployment.