Slashdot: UK ISP PlusNet Testing Carrier-Grade NAT Instead of IPv6

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Fri Jan 18 14:28:12 UTC 2013

On 18-1-2013 15:03, William Herrin wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Constantine A. Murenin
> <mureninc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the technical side, enterprises have been doing large-scale NAT for
> more than a decade now without any doomsday consequences. CGN is not
> different.

Well yeah, but everything is under control of the IT department to setup
rules and forwards. That's not the same as a end user that wants a port
forward to host a xbox 360 game on their fiber connection and can't set
it up.

I've tried getting the firewall disabled that denies "ALL" incoming
traffic on my 3G stick and it's simply not possible, that is the sort of
flexibility that the market is selling.

Most of the ISPs I have personally and professionally worked with have
the flexibility of a piece of mahogany.

I'm pretty sure that some of the dedicated online game hosters are
looking forward to this. Those investments should turn out great.

Regards,

Seth