Slashdot: UK ISP PlusNet Testing Carrier-Grade NAT Instead of IPv6

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 18 06:49:11 UTC 2013

> I hate to break it to you guys more of the larger providers in NA are implementing CGNAT in the next 6 to 18 months. Especially the mobile carriers.

I have agreed long ago that mobile is the one place where CGN will go mostly unnoticed. First of all, most mobiles have been behind some form of CGN for a long time. Second, hardly anyone expects real internet access through their mobile in NA to actually be fully functional to begin with. It's always been somewhat broken and everyone is used to that. Breaking it a little bit more will probably make no difference whatsoever.

I can already count on VZW to disable, block, or degrade to uselessness any attempt at a VOIP call or VIDEO conference other than through the built-in applications where the phone manufacturer and the carrier have come to some agreement and built in hooks to make it sort of work. I can also count on VZW to do nasty things to my DNS requests (ever try turning on DNSSEC validation on a handset? I don't recommend it.)

When I was on SPRINT, they were slightly worse. On my iPAD via AT&T, it's much worse.

Mobile carriers in North America are an ever increasing quagmire where one has to attempt to locate the one that sucks least for the duration of your next contract.

Let's focus more on CGN via CMTS, GPON, or DSL system. That's where the real pain will be felt by the subscribers.

Owen