Intermittent incorrect DNS resolution?

Damian Menscher damian at google.com
Thu Jan 17 18:58:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Erik Levinson
<erik.levinson at uberflip.com>wrote:

> To give an idea of the scale of the problem right now, I'm getting
> thousands of requests per minute to a new IP vs. about two requests per
> minute on the equivalent old IP, with over 60% of the latter being Baidu,
> but also a bit of Googlebot and other random bot and non-bot UAs.

It's common for malware to spoof the Googlebot user-agent since they know
most webmasters won't block it.  You might want to check whether the IPs
you're seeing it from are really allocated to us -- if so, I'd be
interested in tracking down why we're crawling your old IP.

Damian