How are operators using IRR?

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:14:56 UTC 2013

I have mainly worked at small and medium sized operators and we did not
use IRR at all apart from registering our own and customer blocks with
the one upstream provider we had (Level3) which required it. We
maintained our own databases of customer prefixes tied to other
customer information strict prefix lists were generated from. I have
rarely seen as path filtering used except with large customers where
maintaining strict prefix lists wasn't manageable.