Suggestions for the future on your web site: (was cookies, and before that Re: Dreamhost hijacking my prefix...)

Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Wed Jan 16 19:36:25 UTC 2013

On 1/16/2013 9:40 AM, john wrote:

> I took a look at this site and unfortunately the use of cookies is very
> ingrained into the code.  Removing the requirement breaks all
> functionality of www.ris.ripe.net and changing the functionality would
> require a rewrite of the site.

Sooner or later, you'll get to a place where you consider a major
update, and perhaps then you'll consider emulating NANOG's site. However...

> Our intention is that http://stat.ripe.net/ will replace all
> functionality currently under www.ris.ripe.net. If RIPEstat doesn't
> provide the functionality you are looking for, please request it by
> emailing us at stat at ripe.net.

I was curious, and I went to look at it. Please consider using some
other color than lovely amber yellow you've chosen. It's very pretty,
and exhausting to look at for any length of time. I'm a HUGE fan of gray
scales, and of text. I see that you want a cookie when I want to look at
one of the videos, but blocking it doesn't hurt me. Here's where you did
something right. The video plays on my (pretty old) Firefox, which has
no Flash (hooray!).

The cookie stays around for a YEAR (if I let it), and has the following
stuff:

Name: stat-csrftoken
Content: 7f12a95b8e274ab940287407a14fc348
Host: stat.ripe.net
Send For: Any type of connection
Expires: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:29:34 AM

To your credit, you only ask once, but you ought to ask zero times.

The site's not bad, but please consider changing the yellow to black.
Less beauty, more utility.

by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
   Brian W. Kernighan