Notice: Fradulent RIPE ASNs

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jan 16 16:39:14 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:07:40AM -0500, Todd Underwood wrote:
>> no one seriously believes that the RIPE NCC (which is managed by all
>> of its members) is primarily distinguished by their incompetence and
>> negligence.
>
> Really?  Then why, pray tell, haven't they made it a practice to routinely
> (let's say, once a month) ask the people over at Spamhaus: "Hey folks, do
> you see anything wonky in the space we manage?" and then act
> immediately and decisively on what they get back for an answer?
>
> I don't want to speak for Spamhaus, but I suspect that they would be
> delighted to provide that response, particularly if it led to swift and
> effective action to make the problem(s) go away.  And while I don't
> always agree with their positions, I've *rarely* found mistakes in
> their research: they're thorough.  (So's Ron, by the way.)
>
> This isn't complicated.  This isn't expensive.  This doesn't require
> new technology or anything fancy.  It's basic due diligence.  Yet it
> clearly hasn't happened.  Why the hell not?

Hi Rich,

Since this is NANOG, not a forum which represents Internet activities
on the Continent, perhaps a better set of questions would be:

1. Has SPAMHAUS attempted to feed relevant portions of their knowledge
into ARIN's reporting system for fraudulent registrations and,

2. Understanding that ARIN can only deal with fraudulent
registrations, not any other kind of bad-actor behavior, are there
improvements to ARIN's process which would help SPAMHAUS and similar
organizations feed ARIN actionable knowledge?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004