Brocade XMR/MLX VLAN bit counters (Cacti graphs for brocade VLANS) (95% billing).

JP Viljoen froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Mon Jan 14 14:32:59 UTC 2013

On 14 Jan 2013, at 4:00 PM, James Wininger <jwininger at ifncom.net> wrote:
> All,
>
> We are running into an issue with Brocade where we are finding it difficult to to graph VLAN interfaces for bits (in/out) across a tagged (trunk) interface. On Cisco this is not an issue. So what we end up with in Cacti is a blank (no data) graph.
>
> I have been all over these devices with snmpwalk etc (typical tool set). Has anyone found a "fix" or work around for this? Or perhaps I should be asking a different question….Is there a better tool/mindset for 95% billing since this is what we are doing with this info.

I second Pui's suggestion for taking a look at Observium, it's got a vastly more NOC-friendly build than what Cacti's reigning philosophy appears to be. Might not be perfect for everyone, but certainly worth a bit of time to check out.

As for your Cacti problem, it's likely the 64-bit counters thing. Cacti's templates don't default to 64-bit counters.

-J