ripe/ncc likes cookies

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Jan 13 08:58:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com>wrote:

> Or "ask me every time".  Sites should not require cookies
> just to look around.  I get it if there's a transaction to
> be made, but just to look?  :-(  Especially a site like RIPE!

Umm..  Before deciding what sites should or shouldn't be doing, did you
actually check WHY they are setting cookies?

www.ripe.net sets 2 cookies for me :
serverid=ws-www-plone2
wdm_last_run=1358067104394

The first of these is a fairly typical cookie for sites to set, and is
normally use for session persistence when load balancing.

The second seems to be related to something they are running to check IPv4
and IPv6 connectivity, and specifically controlling that it only gets run
once for each client.  That seems to be a perfectly acceptable use of
cookies for me, and is something that could not reliably be done any other
way.

  Scott