OOB core router connectivity wish list

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Jan 12 16:39:08 UTC 2013

On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:35 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> I don't think roland was really saying that normal netflow from a device in production pushing a few hundred gbps of traffic would be
> appropriate to ship out the OOB network... or I hope that wasn't his point. I don't think oob networks need to be sized for that.

Actually, that is what I'm saying - and with sampled flow telemetry, this isn't a huge bps issue.  With flow telemetry, we're typically looking at 0.5% - 1.5% of the aggregate utilized bandwidth of the exporting device, multiplied by the sampling ratio (e.g., .01, .0001, whatever) - so, they isn't a huge amount of traffic, even for very high-speed network.

Modern networks should be designed with OOB/DCN which are sufficiently sized to handle flow telemetry.  Exporting it in-band means that one is blind during network partition events, when visibility is key.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton