OOB core router connectivity wish list

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jan 12 00:36:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> The issue wasn't diversity, it was "is my POTS on Central Battery"; sorry
> for the comparative red herring.

The issue was: is my POTS going to survive an extended regional power
outage that my cellular/DSL/cable modem doesn't, making it a superior
OOB channel to something purely IP based during difficult conditions.
A central office line will be backed by the CO's generator. An RSU
line won't be, so it may give out during the outage. Could be a couple
hours later but it'll still run out of power. And you don't have a
whole lot of choice about which one you get.

That's one reliability measure.

Another reliability measure is testability: can you easily monitor
whether your POTS-based OOB is operational or do you discover that Bob
in accounting failed to pay the bill only when you actually need it?
What about your IP-based OOB? Same? Different?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004