OOB core router connectivity wish list

Charles N Wyble charles-lists at knownelement.com
Thu Jan 10 17:52:43 UTC 2013

I have a Cyclades acs-48 console server. Direct power and Ethernet drop from the ceiling with a public ip. In my subnet, but not through my routers/switches or pdus. Completely out of band, except for relying on colo power/net, which if that's not up then oob is worthless to me anyway.

I have every device hooked to this. Pdus, routers, switches, vm, storage servers.  That allows me to get console and power cycle every device.

What more would I want? Dialup means I need to be in a place I can hook up a modem. Not too many of those. If I make a configuration mistake,  need to reboot a box etc, I want to be able to access my kit from anywhere with ip connectivity.

If power or network in the colo is down, then oob does me no good, and I have a dr site for that scenario. That dr site also monitors production and emails my sms address.