OOB core router connectivity wish list

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 14:35:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

>         - netflow: seriously, this is not an appropriate sort of port of exporting
> netflow.  this is a "your RP is toast" recovery mechanism, at which point
> netflow is probably long gone.

it's possible that roland was saying that the oob network should
collect flow records and export them to 'something' so you'd have an
idea about what traffic was on the network...  I can see some value in
that.

I don't think roland was really saying that normal netflow from a
device in production pushing a few hundred gbps of traffic would be
appropriate to ship out the OOB network... or I hope that wasn't his
point. I don't think oob networks need to be sized for that.

I do think that having a reliable OOB Ethernet would be nice, having
it not be part of the forwarding plane (and not reachable from the
forwarding plane) of the device in the field would also be nice.
iLO/DRAC are good analogies...

>         - rs232: please no.  it's 2013.  I don't want or need a protocol which
> was designed for access speeds appropriate to the 1980s.

I don't think you can get ethernet and transport out-of-the-area in
some places at a reasonable cost, so having serial-console I think is
still a requirement.

-chris