OOB core router connectivity wish list

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Jan 10 14:10:48 UTC 2013

On 10/01/2013 13:51, Jared Mauch wrote:
> We have encountered cases where a vendor TFTP implementation + latency
> from the ROMMON can take a few hours to load images.  I'm for ditching
> TFTP and replacing it with HTTP.  This forces them to put in a TCP
> stack, and hopefully something that can window-scale and deal with the
> latency vs 'wait for block', ok, req next block..
>
> The testers involved in their labs are never loading an image from
> 1600km away so don't get to enjoy this 'fun'.

>From a hotel bedroom.  At 03:00 in the morning.

Re: other comments:

	- tftp: I've run into enough problems with stupid tftp incompatibilities
that I'd be really happy never having to use it again in my life.

	- netflow: seriously, this is not an appropriate sort of port of exporting
netflow.  this is a "your RP is toast" recovery mechanism, at which point
netflow is probably long gone.

 	- rs232: please no.  it's 2013.  I don't want or need a protocol which
was designed for access speeds appropriate to the 1980s.

	- USB: no.  can you route USB?  No. DNW.

	- original list: sounds great, except that I want ipv4 and ipv6 given
equal priority for mgmt access.

Nick