OOB core router connectivity wish list

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 10 13:57:03 UTC 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 12:34 PM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:

> Having RS232 or USB console on forwarding-plane is not OOB. And even OOB
> version of these is of limited value, you can't send images over them, you
> can't multiplex over them and RS232 OOB 'server' costs more than switch. So
> you get less and you pay more.
> HW + SW wise it's extremely simple contraption, all the code and HW needed
> is proven.

I am very much against USB consoles.  there can be a whole plethora of issues involved from OS-level to the device-level.  When I'm on the console, things have already gone bad.  I don't need to find out if the vendor has the right 'entitlement' established for me to download and load the driver or anything else..

It *needs* to work, I can't wait for the device on the other end to negotiate with the host system, etc..

I understand why people want it, but USB as it exists today isn't the way.  (I can screw down a rs232 connector and it can be secure, I can't attach USB with the same certainty).

- Jared