OOB core router connectivity wish list

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Thu Jan 10 03:55:29 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Once upon a time, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen at network1.net> said:
> > Likewise OS vendors are increasingly dropping support for
> > installing OSes via serial port (RHEL, VMWare, etc.)
> >
> > At leaset with RHEL, you can make your own boot image that gets rid
> > of the asinine splash screen (which is the only thing that causes
> > the requirement for a full VGA console)
>
> RHEL installs with a serial console just fine.  You also don't have
> "make your own boot image" to get a non-graphical boot.

Probably a bit off topic for this thread, but...

If I boot the default install disc/image on any of my servers (mostly Supermicro), it hangs at a blank screen when isolinux loads. If you get rid of the splash screen, it works fine. This has been an issue since RHEL4, I think.

Maybe other server manufacturers handle the video a little differently, and are able to get past the splash screen.

-Randy