OOB core router connectivity wish list

Randy Carpenter rcarpen at network1.net
Thu Jan 10 03:05:11 UTC 2013

My main requirements would be:

1. Something that is *not* network (ethernet or otherwise) (isn't that the point of OOB?)
2. Something that is standard across everything, and can be aggregated easily onto a "console server" or the like

I don't really see what is wrong with with keeping the serial port as the standard.

Things like servers and RAID cards and such are coming with "BIOS"es that are graphical and even require a mouse to use. What use is that when I need to get into the BIOS from a remote site that is completely down?

Likewise OS vendors are increasingly dropping support for installing OSes via serial port (RHEL, VMWare, etc.)

At leaset with RHEL, you can make your own boot image that gets rid of the asinine splash screen (which is the only thing that causes the requirement for a full VGA console)

It might be nice to have a "management-only" port of some sort to do more advanced things that serial cannot do, but the serial port is ubiquitous already, and I don't see any reason to remove it as the very low-level access method.

thanks,
-Randy