OOB core router connectivity wish list

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 9 18:41:01 UTC 2013

On (2013-01-09 10:18 -0800), Leo Bicknell wrote:

> I also still think there's a lot of potential here to take gigantic
> steps backwards.  Replacing a serial console with a Java applet in
> a browser (a la most IPMI devices) would be a huge step backwards.
> Today it's trival to script console access, in a Java applet world,
> not so much.

P1 requirement was ssh.

> Ever have these problems on Vendor J?  No, the upgrade process there is
> smooth as silk.  Not to say that vendor is perfect, they just have
> different warts.

I'm getting maybe bit too far from topic.

We have different opinion of smooth or silk. I hate how in J once you do
the upgrade, current config is stored with it, so when you finally boot,
you're using that configuration.
So this means, you can't install new image to all boxes at once you decide
new standard release and then reload then when you get maint window,
without having any extra work during expensive maint hours.  Also I've seen
very poor hit-miss ratio with ISSU, so I can't use it at all.

--
  ++ytti