OOB core router connectivity wish list

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 9 17:34:13 UTC 2013

On (2013-01-09 09:12 -0800), Leo Bicknell wrote:

> So while I agree with the list of features in large part, I'm not sure I
> agree with the concept of having some sort of ethernet interface that
> allows all of this out of band.  I think it will add cost, complexity,
> and a lot of new failure modes.

It already exists, CMP is its name, and it is great. Server people woke up
to this over decade ago, so should networking people.

Failure modes are somewhat uninteresting, as long as it does not fate-share
with control-plane.

Having RS232 or USB console on forwarding-plane is not OOB. And even OOB
version of these is of limited value, you can't send images over them, you
can't multiplex over them and RS232 OOB 'server' costs more than switch. So
you get less and you pay more.
HW + SW wise it's extremely simple contraption, all the code and HW needed
is proven.

RS232 on-band management is case of 'well it's always done like this, so it
must be the right way to do it'
--
  ++ytti