OOB core router connectivity wish list

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jan 9 16:47:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> About the only time you'd strictly *need* dynamic configuration in an
>> OOB is when directly connecting it to a commodity Internet link. If
>> you're willing to give your poorly secured and rarely updated OOB a
>> public IP address, you're a braver man than I am. If you are that
>> "brave" then you'll need a more robust set of dynamic configuration
>> tools than just the ones you've listed and you'll also need a dynamic
>> dns client or some other mechanism for the the OOB to let you know
>> what addresses it ended up on.
>
> it's possible that he's thinking of a world where your dhcp is not
> 'dynamic' but a management system which can keep all the other bits of
> information updated (and easily updatable!) for the remote nodes:

Well, I was actually thinking more about initial factory default
configuration.

After I can reach the device, I would like to be able to set a static
address. I'll consider adding this to the document.

My grief with this is that if we're going to go into that kind of level,
we need a RFC style document with a lot of detail, and that wasn't what I
was initially aiming for. I wanted more to spark the discussion and see
what came out of it. If there indeed is a lot of interest in this, I'd
gladly like to try to create a more detailed document.

I would be very happy if multiple vendors could standardise on a
functionality and software though, perhaps even with API. Don't know which
standards body would be right for this though.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se