Who's the hostmaster for .fl.us?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Jan 9 16:30:49 UTC 2013

>Neustar has been successful in getting RFC1480-style domain names
>effectively discontinued as of maybe a decade ago (we're responsible
>for mil.wi.us here) and so any locality stuff under .fl.us is probably
>legacy stuff.  They'd much rather sell people foo.us ...

If you're wondering about something in k12.fl.us, do a WHOIS and
you'll find the Florida Dep't of Education.  For other fl.us names, do
a WHOIS on the name, and you'll find out what Neustar's got.

I have a few <place>.ny.us delegations, but there's no new ones.
There was a big kerfuffle in which Neustar demanded in the agreement
that subregistries provide unlimited indemnification for their legal
costs.  It turned out that you could just cross out that clause and
Neustar would accept it, but that news was not widely disseminated and
many local registries just gave up.

The .us zone still has some very crufty legacy stuff.  The name
iecc.cambridge.ma.us is still there as a CNAME, left over from
something I registered in about 1991.  There's no WHOIS for it,
Neustar probably has no idea that I was the original registrant, and I
have no idea how I'd even ask them to get rid of it.  It's a dandy
spamtrap, though.

R's,
John