Multicast over GRE between Linux server and Cisco Router

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:01:25 UTC 2013

My guess is that this is because IGMP is a host-to-router protocol while
PIM is for router-to-router signaling. IGMP joins typically flow from a
multicast receiver to its local router. A GRE tunnel emulates a
router-to-router connection, so you need PIM running on it for signaling.
An IGMP join is really just a first hop host-to-router message and isn't
intended to be routed, which is what would be necessary to get it over a
GRE tunnel.

HTH,
John