10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 27 15:39:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jared Mauch" <jared at puck.nether.net>

> Sad as we all know the main cost for 1g to a site is in the optics
> (well actually the fiber build... But after that, it costs almost
> nothing to light it at 1g). A pair of 20km optics is about $250.

I see that assertion a lot, and I want to correct it.

The major cost, MRC, is *the router port*; I don't know what the 95%ile
BW for a major hotel is going to be over a month, but I suspect that
you're gonna need the whole 1Gb/s worth of port to handle the peaks.

And those aren't exactly cheap -- though, by "daily commercial hotel
revenue" standards, I suppose they're not *that* expensive; what kind
of margins do hotels make?

Cheers,
-- jra