10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Wed Feb 27 04:23:33 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:58 PM, Owen DeLong <mailto:owen at delong.com> wrote:

> In fact, many of the hotels that have solved this intelligently have
> simply
> placed DSLAMs in the phone room and run DSL to each room with
> a relatively inexpensive (especially when you buy 500 of them at a time)
> DSL modem in each room.

...or more likely (at least in my own probably limited experience), a CMTS and cable modems instead of a DSLAM and DSL modems.  Probably because so many of these hotels have an existing digital PBX system that drives all the phones in the rooms which isn't going to take very kindly to sharing its copper with a DSLAM, and because they already have coax run throughout the place to drive the televisions.  Easier to share the existing coax with a CMTS than it is to stretch a bunch of new telephone wire dedicated just to DSL; I mean, at that point, you might as well just pull some Ethernet.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC
nathana at fsr.com