10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Feb 27 02:45:54 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jeroen van Aart" <jeroen at mompl.net>

> - internet connectivity at a hotel is just another free amenity like
> after shyave or a hair net, be glad you can at least check your email
> :-)

It is like hell.  It is very often not one paid, but *unreasonably*
expensive ($5-10 a *day*).  If you don't know this, it's because you
either 1) never looked, 2) were always in hotels on group rates where
free access was negotiated in the contract or 3) were very very lucky.

> Granted if a hotel markets itself as a business hotel in a business area
> it should include at least half decent internet connectivity, otherwise
> forget it and be glad you can spend some time away from the hedonistic
> attractions of "the net".

One word: "Conventions".

No, it really *isn't* acceptable for a hotel not to have decent
connectivity these days; would you tolerate a hotel where the power went
out from 8-midnight every day?

Cheers,
-- jra